The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is the statutory curriculum guidance for all children from birth to age five. The EYFS is built on guiding principles which inform our work with the children:
- Every one of our children is unique, our children are constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
- Our children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- Our children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs. There is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and /or carers
- We understand that our children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates
There are seven areas of learning and development that must shape educational programmes in the Early Years settings. All these areas of learning and development are important and inter-connected. Three areas are particularly crucial for igniting children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, for building their capacity to learn and for forming relationships. The three the prime areas, are:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
As providers, Hilden Oaks Nursery also supports children in four specific areas, through which the three prime areas are strengthened and applied. The specific areas are:
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
By covering these seven areas in combination through our curriculum, we are able to help our children grow and develop as individuals.
From Transition, the children are taught phonics through the Read Write Inc. programme.